So I decided to put all relevant information from reddit in one place, because hell, I don’t know what to think about this.
1. The site was registered through GoDaddy - most of Bethesda sites are registered through corporatedomains, but then again prepareforthefuture.com (the site found in the code of the survivor that is supposed to host some kind of posters) is registered by Zenimax through corporatedomains and redirects to fallout website. Plus stream.thesurvivor2299.com redirects to Bethsoft and is located in Maryland (where Bethesda is).
2. The date format is not american, but then again american date format is stupid (sorry for that xD no offense, really). Quote from /u/Partyboy690 from his post on /r/fallout:
"Open cmd on Windows or a Linux terminal and type in;
Note the resulting ip starting with 199!
Then type in;
It too will start with 199, while this is not proof it definitely indicates that these sites are linked also one of the reasons why they chose European date formats is 11/12/13 looks pretty cool.”
3. The host IP is 188.8.131.52, which is located in Poland: https://www.robtex.com/dns/thesurvivor2299.com.html#record, but then again in code there are another IP adresses: 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 (the last one is Zenimax’s)
4. Quoting reddit user Commod0re:
bethesda’s domains resolve to ZeniMax owned IP address space:
bethsoft.com, dishonored.com, and theevilwithin.com to go with your examples, all resolve to 18.104.22.168 which is within ZeniMax IP space
A quick nmap scan reveals that this server is only available on ports 80 and 443 (HTTP/HTTPS). nmap’s best guess to OS is FreeBSD.
thesurvivor2299.com resolves to 22.214.171.124, which belongs to Reliable Hosting Services
The server it’s running on is also serving DNS (a hallmark of a VPS) and possibly also outgoing mail. nmap’s best guess is some flavor of Linux. Pulling up an SSH connection with debug shows it is Debian Squeeze.
The whois information shows the nameserver glue as ns1/ns2.thesurvivor2299.com (which both resolve to the same IP as thesurvivor2299.com) whereas all other Bethesda sites use ns1/ns2.zenimax.com
The whois information is also subtly different:
- the legit bethsoft.com entry shows the registrant email as firstname.lastname@example.org; thesurvivor2299.com shows it as email@example.com
- the legit entry shows firstname.lastname@example.org as the administrative contact, and dnstech@ZENIMAX.COM as the technical contact; thesurvivor2299.com shows email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
The site itself is a hodgepodge of indiscriminate copy/paste work:
- The cookie generation stuff also looks to be inert, as my request headers never populate a cookie, whereas they do with fallout.bethsoft.com
- */js/ is a path never used on bethesda sites - they either have it in the root, or something more like “assets/js/”
- There are no google analytics or doubleclick ad requests like with all other bethesda sites. You would think they would at least use the former to try to gauge the hype generated by this thing
- Both pages are being served by nginx according to the headers, but the definitely legit fallout.bethsoft.com does not return the version in use
5. bscountdownjs is copy of http://krzysztof-furtak.pl/kk-countdown-jquery-plugin/
6. Different headers as pointed by beer_tree:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: nginx Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:37:33 GMT Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 Connection: close Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=isooht7mnr21ova6gf00oc6ti5; path=/ Pragma: no-cache Cache-Control: max-age=300 Expires: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:42:33 +0000
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:38:02 GMT Server: Apache X-Powered-By: PHP/5.4.4-14+deb7u5 Vary: Accept-Encoding Content-Type: text/html
8. Generally speaking, it doesn’t look good. But to pump some hopes up - according to GI:
We heard back from Bethesda regarding TheSurvivor2299.com. The publisher declined to comment on this rumor as per policy
If it was a hoax, I want to believe that Bethesda would tell us.
- hxrleyquinns likes this
- ekwipartycja likes this
- super-fuckin-nito likes this
- vault-0 reblogged this from quantum-dot
- drunken-empress reblogged this from quantum-dot
- infiniteponyverses likes this
- whoisthelizardqueen reblogged this from quantum-dot
- t0x1ct3atim3 reblogged this from quantum-dot
- t0x1ct3atim3 likes this
- quantum-dot reblogged this from sturmtruppen and added:
- fallout4patron likes this
- quantum-dot likes this
- tripropellant reblogged this from sturmtruppen
- sturmtruppen reblogged this from quantum-dot and added:
- sporecarrier reblogged this from quantum-dot
- kerrondixon likes this